We purchased a yogurt maker over a year ago and we have been enjoying the freshest healthy yogurt every day. Yes, if you are familiar with the sweet, store bought varieties, it does take some time getting used to the natural sourness of fresh yogurt. However, I assure you, the homemade product is far less sour than the store bought natural yogurt.
Most are aware that lactic bacteria, which normally exist in our bodies, help fight infection and ease digestion. Stress, illness, a busy lifestyle and antibiotics can deplete these bacteria.
Yogurt helps to replenish the body’s natural defenses by containing live lactic cultures, which are critical to good health.
Yogurt can help you lead a healthy life too, by:
- Helping to reduce milk intolerances, which can particularly effect babies and older people
- Assure a healthy digestive system, reducing disease and gas producing bacteria
- Reduce side effects of antibiotics which can kill good as well as bad bacteria
- High in protein to help build and repair body tissue
- Rich in vitamins and minerals, including vitamins A, B and C as well as iron and potassium
- Valuable source of calcium, with each cup delivering nearly 40% of the recommended daily consumption of calcium
- Easy to digest - yogurt is even easier to digest than milk
We start our yogurt from a small amount of store-bought, plain, live culture yogurt: “Activia” to be exact. We then add full fat milk and heat at a constant, but not boiling, temperature. Our yogurt-making machine assists in this process, so I do not have to watch over it. If you do not have a machine, I found an illustrated guide here explaining how to make it at home.
Simple to make, easy to store and delicious to taste, enjoy!
We like to add crusca and fiocchi di avena, wheat bran and oats, to the serving. I always pair it with a nice hot cup of green tea...
If you notice, there is no sun shinning through the window. That's because at 6:30 in the morning, even the sun stays in bed longer than we do!