Saturday, February 02, 2008

Costolette d' Agnello

I stopped by my butcher this morning, to pick up some meat for lunch, and little did I know I would find so much more. I came home with some new cuts of meat, and I met a new friend. I met Rosalina, a woman from Giarre who is origanyilly from California. I look forward to getting together with her and her family soon. Enzo, my butcher who owns the shop where people from far and wide travel to pick up his meats, showed me a fresh lamb. So, today on the menu we have Lamb Chops... We enjoyed some fresh artichokes that I bought yesterday, and a plate of homemade pesto. My husband was a very happy man!





INGREDIENTS: (everything by eye)
dried rosemary
dried origano
dried thyme
salt and pepper to taste
4 lamb chops


EV olive oil
minced onion
aged balsamic vinegar (the good stuff)
chicken broth

DIRECTIONS:
In a small bowl or cup, mix together the rosemary, origano, thyme, salt and pepper. Rub this mixture onto the lamb chops on both sides. Place them on a plate, cover and set aside for 15 minutes to absorb the flavors.
Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Place lamb chops in the skillet, and cook for about 3 1/2 minutes per side for medium rare, or continue to cook to your desired doneness. Remove from the skillet, and keep warm on a serving platter.
Add onions to the skillet, (I cooked them in water first to not fry them in oil) and cook for a few minutes, just until browned. Stir in vinegar, scraping any bits of lamb from the bottom of the skillet, then stir in the chicken broth. Continue to cook and stir over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes, until the sauce has reduced by half. If you don't, the sauce will be runny and not good. Pour over the lamb chops, and serve.

No comments: