Thursday, September 27, 2007

Cucuzza Lunga


Now is the time of year when the serpent like, long zucchini is in harvest. What a treat it is!
The first time I had the pleasure of trying this recipe was in the kitchen of Antonello’s mother. It was a cold evening and this warm vegetable plate waiting for me was like heaven. What more could I ask for, I was dipping crunchy bread into a hearty broth covered with my favorite fresh oven baked ricotta cheese (ricotta infornata). This memory still has my head spinning…
Like the zucchini I was used to in the states, this variety is so moist and full of water. Actually, it cooks in it’s own juices, no need to add water.
• First, cook down one onion in a small amount of water. (I used a red onion from Tropea, which is why my broth turned out a rose color…)
• In the meantime, skin the zucchini and cut into slices
• Once the onion is cooked, add the zucchini, one cut up tomato, and a touch of salt
• Cover and cook!
• Serve with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil, crunchy bread and shaved baked ricotta
The longer this cooks on the the richer the flavor!





If you're interested, click on the title and it will take you to Terra Madre, a site where you, too, can buy and enjoy a variety of Italian Cheeses including this ricotta infornata!! I just found them online; I have never used this site...

1 comment:

TammyR said...

Mine had no broth...must have cooked it too high. Very good though. Also used Parmesan cheese as I had no baked ricotta hanging around. :))