Monday, August 25, 2008

Il fico

Our fig trees have been very busy this summer.


Like I have always said, there are very few things greater than fresh fruits picked from the tree. Figs would be one of my favorite. Thought to be the sweetest fruit, figs are also one of the oldest fruits recognized by man. It's no wonder the fig has been enjoyed for centuries. Growing up, the only fig I encountered was in between the cookie of the Fig Newton. Yummy! It wasn't until my first visit to Sicily, a few years back, that Antonello reached up and picked one of these soft and delicate fruits for me. With it's moist, honeyed, rosy goodness it's impossible to have just one.


The terrace is full of figs drying out in the sicilian sun. Once the winter months come around, these will be a nice sweet treat.
You may already know that Figs are high in natural and simple sugars, minerals and fiber. They contain good levels of potassium, calcium, magnesium, iron, copper and manganese. A compound found in Figs, called benzaldehyde, has been shown to help shrink tumors in some tests. Considered to be an antibacterial and anti-ulcer food, the Fig is also a natural laxative. All the more reason to enjoy!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am enjoying my fig tree as well. It is monstrous and is covered with figs...I don't know what I'm going to do with them all! I guess I'll be busy making fig jam, fig tarts, dried figs, and whatever else I can think of!

Jill said...

You have some wonderful work ahead of you!! Do let me know how everything turns out... :)

Anonymous said...

My sister and brother-in-law are currently in Sicily in the province of Palermo, so I'm enjoying eating figs from their tree. They'll be gone another 2 weeks. Hurray, sono deliziosi e dolci!

Glad to see you blogging again.

Jill said...

Well, they are not too far away. Do they plan on traveling over to my side of the island this trip? Thank you and enjoy every bite!

Unknown said...

Comesai everyone:)Hope things are well with all The FIGS..I would like to know if anyone know where I can get the trees or seed of FIGS fruit?I would like to grow them and Im located in Asia.
Ciao bello bella...;)